Why are coaches needed?
- Do You Have Shrinking Cash? – The revenue ceiling stays stubbornly and painfully low. This is a prime situation for coaching to make sure that the company thrives and staff get paid.
- Do You Have a Dream and You’re Determined? — Think of sports. Why do they need coaches? They already have a team captain or quarterback. The coach doesn’t even play in the game! They bring in a coach when they plan to play to win.
- Are You Talented and Frustrated? – Coaches are brought in when effective leaders are stuck in bad circumstances. You have tried for 2 years to build a nonprofit with sustainability and the deficit won’t allow another year without turning it around. I’ve been there and survived and you can too.
Why do Nonprofits need coaching?
Nonprofits need coaching more than for-profit corporations
- They face the same pressures as for-profits to have cash for payroll
- They have fewer opportunities to borrow money
- Government often pays late
- Government contracts assume that competent managers don’t need competitive salaries
- Many nonprofits between $2-6 million in revenue are in a Valley of Death where the compliance costs are greater than they can afford
- Charitable gifts under shrinking under new tax laws
- Sustainability requires both board and management involvement. The coach sets a healthy process and reporting system from the 4D planning model (Driver, Demands, Disciplines, Decisions)
Consulting or Coaching?
There are many consultants and many planning systems but my coaching offer is unique. I stay with most clients for 3 years. I become a trusted confidante — providing a peer-to-peer sounding board. I act as the co-architect in the creation of a scalable action plan designed to act ASAP. I work with you to develop a team that quickly increases cash and profitability, reduces duplication of efforts, and positions your nonprofit as a central leader in its area of mission.
The definition of a Scaling Up nonprofit is 4 payrolls in the bank, 2-4% annual surplus, measurable success in mission, and 2.5 days per week where the CEO is free for leadership and planning.
The decision to Scale requires planning and change in 4 decisions
- Getting the right people in the right seats doing the right things
- Abundant cash to fund strategy
- A long range and mid range strategy that can deliver the revenue targets and get Board and management on the same page
- Flawless execution so that leaders spend 60% of their week in leadership instead of fixing problems.
As in sports, the coach is indispensable to sustainability if this is what your Board and leadership wants.
It seems risky to hire a coach. We never tried it before!
Very true. My solution is to offer a Gold Coaching Engagement plan. You can try before you commit to a contract together.
We start with 2 days of team coaching for 5-15 leaders in your company and regular meetings. If I am the right coach for your company, you will see results in 90 days. If you are unhappy with the progress after 90 days, I will make it right or transfer a month of coaching fees to the coach of your choice.
It starts with a free interview. Or email now — Tompkir1@gmail.com